Hello everyone, Emilie here! These past couple weeks have been crazy busy for me, I’ve gone from one vacation to another, practically travelling up and down the entire east coast! Today I’m writing from Maine in a house called “Pumpkin Spice” located in the middle of the woods. When I’m on vacation I wear very little makeup. I’m usually running from one activity to the next and spending a lot of time in the sun and surf so I’d rather have a bare face than one that’s melting off. But of course I need to put on just a little something here and there for dressier days and dinners out. Here are five super quick tips that will make doing your makeup easier. Try any of them alone or wear them all at once!
1. Mascara Mishaps – When I’m rushing to do my mascara I’ll often get some product on my upper and lower eyelids. Wiping mascara away while it’s still wet or trying to clean it off with a damp tissue will only smear it around and make matters worse. Instead, let the messy bits of your mascara dry completely while you finish your lashes. Once the eyelashes are coated and curled take a dry q-tip and gently rub the unwanted mascara away. It will flake off easily, making it appear that the mistake never happened.
2. A Brighter Face – One of the easiest ways to fake a fresh face is by applying concealer to just a few key areas. Concealing, sometimes known as highlighting, looks best in the center and lower points of the face where the light wouldn’t naturally hit. If you only have a few minutes then just dab a bit of liquid concealer between your eyebrows, down the center of your nose, underneath your eyes along the inside corners, underneath the outside corners of your nose near your nostrils, and a tiny dot right on you chin. Blend in with your fingers and you’re good to go.
3. Lasting Lips – Lipstick is the product you can apply quickly and on the go since it’s so portable. But with that being said it can require a little extra TLC, especially on busy summer days. Luckily, this hack only takes a minute! Pick up a concealer pencil the next time you’re at the drugstore. After applying your lipstick, trace around your outer lip line with the concealer pencil. I promise this will be your new best friend! It will add a crispness to your look by keeping your lipstick from smudging.
4. Raise that Brow – As long as you have some hairspray you’ll be prepared to create brows that won’t quit even if you’ve forgotten your other brow products. Comb through your brows with your fingernails. Move the hairs up toward your forehead, spray some hairspray on your fingers, rub them together until they’re nearly dry and start shaping your brows. Move the hairs down and out to the tail. Create a sculpted arch by adding more hairspray. This will make your brow hairs darker, it will give your brows a distinct shape and they won’t budge until you wash them off.
5. Go for the Bronze – Bronzer is amazing for so many things. I use it to even out my skin tone, and sunburn and tan if I have one or the other. It can also double as an eyeshadow and by now we’ve all heard of contouring, which is typically achieved by bronzing to an extreme. No time for makeup? In the car, on the way to dinner (assuming you’re not driving) take any makeup brush and dust some bronzer along the hollows of your cheeks and up on to your temples. Use your finger to blend some extra bronzer into the upper creases of your eyes and just below your bottom lip. This single product will create warmth, shadows and definition.
Written and Curated for the LCC by Emilie Louizides